Quantcast

How are empty tags usually represented?

Kozierok, Robyn Kozierok, Robyn

How are empty tags usually represented?

Hi,

In looking at GATE Extended, I see that all Annotations have start and end indices.  What is the typical way of representing empty tags (such as relations between other annotations that have no text extent themselves)?  Can you just use -1 or null as start and end values?

Thanks,
Robyn Kozierok

Re: How are empty tags usually represented?

for coreference, for example, I think that the linking annotation has
a span from the start of the first member of the chain to the end of
hte last member

you can't have an annotation without a span; you can have attributes
on the document if you like, or a zero-length annotation (though
previous versions of hte JAPE language have not been able to recognise
the latter)

best

On 7 July 2011 23:47, Kozierok, Robyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In looking at GATE Extended, I see that all Annotations have start and end indices.  What is the typical way of representing empty tags (such as relations between other annotations that have no text extent themselves)?  Can you just use -1 or null as start and end values?
>
> Thanks,
> Robyn Kozierok

Hamish                                  http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

If it is not economically viable to save the
planet, then the economic system must be wrong.
http://www.monthlyreview.org/nfte090701.php

Saying that Israel is justified in assaulting Palestine because of
Hamas' rockets is like saying the UK should have bombed Belfast when
the IRA was active.                 http://stopwar.org.uk/

Kozierok, Robyn Kozierok, Robyn

Re: How are empty tags usually represented?

>for coreference, for example, I think that the linking annotation has
>a span from the start of the first member of the chain to the end of
>the last member

This seems like it would create a headache for a display tool wanting to display those annotations in a meaningful fashion.  I wouldn't want to have a bunch of really long coreference annotations that span most of the document displayed.  Can an annotation schema contain metadata?  I suppose one could use something like that to indicate that that type of annotation should not be displayed directly in the text, but in some higher-level way.

Can you also send me a pointer to information on how annotation schemas interact with the GATE Embedded API?

Thanks again,
Robyn Kozierok

Thomas Heitz Thomas Heitz

Re: How are empty tags usually represented?

Hi,

If you are interested in annotation relation here are some
possibilities in GATE Developer.

ANNIE coreference process adds a feature "matches", I think, that
contains the list of id of the linked annotations.
It should be on the first annotation but not sure.

You can display annotations in a stack view so it's possible to see
which annotations are contained within the spanning annotation.
To display this view use the button "Annotation Stack View" at the top
of the GATE document editor.

We have also a Relation Annotation Tool in the Ontology Tools plugin
if I don't mistake that let you create relation between annotations
using an ontology to store the relations. See the userguide.
However the relations are not currently displayed graphically but in a
table at the bottom of the document editor and in the ontology itself.

Thomas

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Kozierok, Robyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>for coreference, for example, I think that the linking annotation has
>>a span from the start of the first member of the chain to the end of
>>the last member
>
> This seems like it would create a headache for a display tool wanting to display those annotations in a meaningful fashion.  I wouldn't want to have a bunch of really long coreference annotations that span most of the document displayed.  Can an annotation schema contain metadata?  I suppose one could use something like that to indicate that that type of annotation should not be displayed directly in the text, but in some higher-level way.
>
> Can you also send me a pointer to information on how annotation schemas interact with the GATE Embedded API?
>
> Thanks again,
> Robyn Kozierok

Kozierok, Robyn Kozierok, Robyn

Re: How are empty tags usually represented?

>We have also a Relation Annotation Tool in the Ontology Tools plugin
>if I don't mistake that let you create relation between annotations
>using an ontology to store the relations. See the userguide.
>However the relations are not currently displayed graphically but in a
>table at the bottom of the document editor and in the ontology itself.

This sounds more like what I'm thinking of -- a way of representing (and displaying) relations between annotations.  I have been calling this another type of "annotation" on the document, but it sounds like this is supported in GATE, but is not called an annotation.  So it may be mainly terminology that is tripping me up.